Thursday, October 15, 2009

Sustainability Review VS Annual Review

Most of the biggest companies out there have decided to compile (and print) a sustainability report. While I'm against printing thousands of copies of a report that is easily accessible as an electronic document I am still glad these companies have decided to talk their walk. There's something I've been asking myself - if these companies are concerned about the impact of their operations at the point that they find vital to write a sustainability report, a strong trace of this attitude could be surely retrieved in their annual review. That's why I decided to make a little quantitative analysis (it's really not scientifically reliable, but i thought it could help me understanding) of the words used in both the reports. This analysis will be followed shortly by a qualitative one.

A quantitative analysis

Sustainability Review (65 pages, 49 pictures)

water 189
business 149
community 160
sustainability 159
environment + environmental 113
bottling 104
partners 87
packaging 81
health 58
recycling 57
education 53




Annual Review (50 pages, 53 pictures)

markets 111
growth 91
business 87
bottling 55
sustainability 50
partners 35
water 23










3 comments:

Ferdiansyah said...

It's a very interesting works of you done there Mr. Soldi,

comparing the number of words used there..

and as usual, water (in this sense, is environmental preservation) still be the common interest of any company doing CSR, it's always about environment..

DOn't get me wrong, it's not that I'm not believing in environmental preservation..it's just for me (FYI I'm a CSR practicioner for a textile company) it's not merely an effort on environment, but also many many much more things than that..

We should go deeper into human rights issues, fair business practices...I also notice that Coca-Cola Company is a so-called western company that taking proud of human rights and good corporate governance matter..however as we concern here, they operate globally..

How about their operation in third world country?

how about their executives doing business in a corruptible nation?

that's the thing that we should go deeper...perhaps if you'd like to start comparing qualitatively then you might consider such question, Sir.

Anyway, it's interesting there to know you and seeing the articles that you made...

All the best,


Ferdy

Alessandro Soldi said...

Thanks Ferdy,

I'm working on the qualitative analisys, I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.